Translation involves converting the text from one language (source) to another language (target) while at the same time maintaining the meaning and context of the original text. An important distinguishing factor of a translator is that he translates only written material. Translating is more about communicating the idea of the text rather than a word to word meaning.
It has to take into account factors like the grammar of the two languages, context, cultures, idioms, writing style. In India, there are many jobs for translation of different languages... Some highly demanded jobs are in following languages...
The skills that a translator requires is fluency in two or more languages. He should be able to read, write, speak and think in minimum two languages .Though a translator does not require specific educational qualification but it is an advantage if he possesses a degree in one of the languages. One can also choose to translate topics of interest or educational background. For example a student of literature can translate literary work or science student can do technical translations. In addition to this a translator would need to be knowledgeable in the work they are translating and should read more on the related topics to facilitate better translation.
With increasing cross cultural interactions, awareness and spreading of various cultures there is an increased demand for translators. The nature of work to be translated is not limited to any particular type. It could range from a medical thesis to a kids book or just letters.
There are many opportunities for a translator. It is a very rewarding line of work and does not require much in terms of skills. One can contact the respective embassies and register as a translator. Alternatively one can also contact the language institutes for a listing of opportunities. A lot of organizations also require translators as the IT boom has facilitated outsourcing from various countries. The internet also provides a translator with myriad choices to work from. One can register with any of the websites offering translation services or advertise on some websites with a profile created listing the languages that they wish to work in, educational background, contact details etc.
The translation scenario in India is picking with the ITES sector gaining importance and the broadening of horizons. Also a number of Indian publishing houses are getting into translating the works of the regional writers and this opens avenues for translators of regional languages as well.
- Job satisfaction is high
- The pay for translation is higher as compared to other fields
- One can choose the particular area of interest
- It gives us an idea of a different culture
- There is a lot of variety in the work done
- The role of a translator is now positive in terms of the global exposure
- One should be careful to maintain the context of the original text
- Dialects of a language might be involved and the translator might have to use a lot of research to translate hence spending more time on a work than required.
- It is not a science and exact word to word translation is not possible.
- By Sunita on November 16, 2009, 9:06 am Hello, I am working as a senior lecturer in English in a Post Graduate college. I am due to retire next year. I would like to work from home and my preferred field of work is translation, proof reading and editing. I have good command on both Hindi and English language.
- By M.Vidwams on November 24, 2009, 1:30 am I have completed my bachelors degree in commerce and diploma in spanish now pursuing french diploma, i would like to know what type of translation jobs available in hyderabad and also how much time i have to spare for this translation job, kindly respond
- By CHANDRAKISHORE PRASAD on December 6, 2009, 12:52 pm Hello Sir,
I am from Mumbai graduated with English and Hindi as a main subjects. I have completed many proofreading and translating assignments online and offline. Currently I am looking for fresh assignments. Can you please help me to find translation job?
- By Maruthi Narendra S on December 8, 2009, 4:26 am I am Maruthi. I can translate between English and Spanish. So, notify me if there is any requirement for English- Spanish translators job. Thanks..
- By RAJAMANICKAM on December 9, 2009, 1:43 am Dear Sir/ Madam, I have been doing transcription work for the past one year. (Tamil audio to English text and vice versa). Expecting such jobs right now. Expecting your help regarding this. Please send those to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By karishma on January 25, 2010, 4:14 am I want to do translation job. I have already worked on English translation to Russian. Please provide me this job. I am a good translator. Waiting for your positive reply.
- By R. K. Pandey on January 25, 2010, 11:21 am Dear Sir/Madam, I'm M.A.& Ph.D. in Hindi literature.I worked as lecturer in Bangalore University from the year 980 to 1987. I was teaching translation as a subject there. I'm having 23 years experience in the field of translation in routine official documents, legal, technical, I.T., marketing products and various areas related to our job. I shall be pleased to extend my job experience with you.Please contact me if anything i can do.
- By Ashish on February 16, 2010, 6:02 am Hello Sir, I have learned basics of French language. So is possible for me to do translation job?
Also I want to know how to get translator job?
- By karthik on March 6, 2010, 2:20 am Hi there, I am a graduate from Delhi university. I know multiple languages like English, Hindi,Tamil & Kannada as a speaking language. and I also worked with one of the France news channel called 24 France news. Please tell me how to find translation work from home.
- By Ashlesha Phatak on September 6, 2010, 6:09 am Hi,
My name is Ashlesha. I am a professional French Translator and have abt 1.5 yrs of exp in this field. I am based in Pune and have completed my French courses (DELF upto level B2 with very good grades)
from Alliance Francaise de Pune. I have also done The DFA Diplome de Francais d'Affaires.
My forte is Technical translations.
- By PREMA RANDIVE on December 1, 2010, 4:32 am I have completed my bachelors degree in BBA with English.i know about Hindi & Marathi language. I am a fresher. Can you please help me to find translation job? Kindly respond.thank you
- By Beena on January 13, 2011, 2:09 am Hi, I am a post graduate in Tourism Admin. As I have 2yr old kid. I could not go for jobs.I have good command over English, Hindi, and Tamil. I am put up at chennai.Pls contact me if there is any Home based translation jobs.
- By SUSHMITA ROY on May 10, 2011, 6:08 am I have completed MSW from vidyapeeth. & presently i am working with NGO sector & also do the translation from English to hindi.Can you please help me to find translation job..as i want utilize my time always
- Last Updated on May 23, 2012, 2:35 pm
- Page Created on April 20, 2009, 12:24 am